Thursday 20 September 2012

My Life Story.......

During the week I was asked to talk to a group of professionals, and tell them "My Life Story" and a little about "who I am." I have recently joined a local Rotary group and this is a regular task asked of new members.
I have experience speaking to groups when I facillitate work/life balance workshops, over a day or even a weekend, so was surprised  how nervous I was with this task when the day arrived! I was only required to talk for 15 minutes! I think my nervousness was because talking at length about yourself  is something so uncommon for most people to do these days. Others I spoke to said they had felt just as nervous as I did and, like me, had made notes to refer to/ stay on track/speak for the required time.
Of course I "survived" and was made to feel very comfortable as I rattled on....
Afterwards I was talking with others in the group and the point was made that each of us felt quite grateful to have had this opportunity, at some time or other, because it gave a chance to formally think about "who you are." For that reason I can really recommend taking the time to make a few notes, and jot down your life story, so far. I know that will sound like such a waste of time to many people but it is so worthwhile.
We spend so much time looking outward and away from ourselves......often more able to speak about existence outside ourselves, than our own.
And when you're able to make time to think about "who you are", include topics like:
where you were born, and grew up.....
and your "early days"....... but also things like,
 what you currently feel passionate about....
consider what you feel your strengths of character are......
 and simple things like your favourite food..... colour... music... movie.....
what hobbies you enjoy...
 experiences that have left a big impression on you.....
your hopes/dreams for the future......
 what you love about your life right now.......
something that may surprise others about you.......
Then the next time someone says: "So tell me about yourself ?"  you will have a really interesting answer.
And you will have a sense of what events/circumstances led you to where you are in your life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment